Leaving Mile End
Friday January 13, 2006
After the last fortnight working all day, then coming home and packing until the wee hours of the morn, by the time today hit and the removalists arrived at 8.30am, I was one tired and exhausted person, as was Ben. It didn’t help that we did our longest stint last night, getting to bed at 4.30am only to arise less than four hours later to greet our removalists.
The two removalists were great. They moved everything, where previously I’d got in on the act and helped move furniture and boxes. I probably wouldn't have had the energy anyway. That gave me time to walk around in a delirious state supervising and packing other bits and pieces and cleaning up, while Ben slept... in amongst me going in and harassing him to get up and help out.
After the van was packed, Ben and I drove to mum’s to meet the removalists there. They beat us to the house, but hadn’t been there long before we arrived. They moved everything into the space we allocated at the back of mum’s shed, so all our gear is now safely in storage. There were a few things we would have liked kept out, but in amongst everything, I just didn’t think about it. Thems the breaks - not literally I hope, although there was one plastic container that was broken in the move :)
That night we had Scott’s retrospective exhibition - Alphabetica. What a fantastic night that was! When we arrived, it was packed to the hilt. Couldn’t hardly move! So fabulous to see all of Scott’s work over the years up on the walls upstairs at Sym Choons and the amount of heads that had turned up to see it.
Ben bought a couple of paintings, which I'm stoked about. I look forward to seeing them on the walls in our new house when I return to Adelaide! It was great to catch up with everyone and hang out that night. A group of us went back to Scott and Sooz’s after a few drinks at the Exeter. I passed out at some ungodly hour of the morning after much raucous fun... it was a groggy and very slow morning upon wake up I tell you! But worth it all the same.


Ben and I headed back home. With nothing left in the house except our bedroom furniture, we spent the entire daywatching DVDs in bed (lots of Six Feet Under), ordered some take away and then went and took lots of photos of our last night in Mile End.
We were both sad. How much we love each other and our place. Sometimes it hits me "what I was thinking" completely changing everything...


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home