Goodbye to Ben
Wednesday April 12, 2006
It was great having Ben here - really loved it.
We spent the morning at home – him packing and me fussing around in my room trying not to think too much about the fact he was leaving.
We went across the road to Highlands and grabbed a quite bite before going back to our place and grabbing his gear before the taxi arrived.
We waited, and waited and waited. But still no taxi. So I called the tour company we booked it through. They said they were on their way. Still no show. Then a taxi pulled up out the front, and we thought it was our so we gleefully packed bens case and bags in and jumped in.
Immediately I pulled out the receipt to check it was the right taxi. The guy didn’t speak a word of English. We tried to communicate – then he seemed to understand so we started on our way.
Then I saw the meter come on. I asked him why the meter, continually pointing to the paid stamp on the receipt – but he still didn’t register. We were not even 500 metres from the house and we got him to pull over.
I called the company again but it kept cutting out and they weren’t being very helpful. The guy started yelling at me that the taxi was at our place and wouldn’t listen to what had possibly happened.
Luckily for us, we got the taxi driver to stop completely and he pulled into a hotel where the door staff could speak and understand English. Turns out that Ben and I jumped into the wrong cab and it was a big mix-up. The tour company were really rude and refused to help so the hotel staff organized for us to get picked up and only pay US$10. Thanks goodness. Only a 160.000 ride instead of a 250.000 by meter!
By this stage, Ben and I had both broken out into a sweat. Time was marching on and it was the most frustrating and confusing experience to have in the middle of dealing with him leaving. It was really hot and steamy – and I just have this view of looking at Ben and us both pouring with sweat. Quite funny really in retrospect.
Thank goodness for the lovely hotel staff. I vowed I’d return to that tour company in the afternoon and demand a refund. I bet they thought we were leaving the country and could get away with it. Too bad, little did they know I’d be on their door step and if they didn’t refund my money – they’d have a fight on their hands.
So… we finally got to the airport and got to sit down and have a drink before Ben had to go through customs etc. The worst thing is that he disappears into another area for customs and the boarding gates and I have to say goodbye before.
So, the inevitable happened and we said goodbye. I felt so sad. Don’t go baby don’t go…
I watched him disappear into customs and then in the boarding lounge. The funny thing was, I just couldn’t leave until he boarded the plane. So there I am, standing at the first lot of gates, craning my neck to catch a glimpse of him, and I just waited. I kept thinking, there’s no need to just stand here, but I just simply couldn’t leave. It was a horrible feeling. I ducked to the toilet quickly and when I got back the boarding calls were happening. I didn’t get to see a final glimpse of him before he boarded, but I stood there till there was hardly anyone left in the area… then I went and grabbed a taxi.
I got home and wandered around for a while then decided to get out and check out a couple of hotels for Ali, for her and Paul, when they came this weekend. It was cool to check out another part of the old quarter. The hotels are in another area I hadn’t really explored – really backpacker focused with lots of hotels etc. So that was interesting.
I wandered along a couple of streets then turned down an alley and next minute – I found myself at Bia Hoi corner. Wouldn’t you believe it – right where the tour café was that stuffed our taxi up. So I headed in there and they were most apologetic for the stuff up. I got my refund straight away. So that was nice, no fights – thank goodness.
I then felt a little at a loss with what to do – so I went and sat down and had a beer. I chatted to a man selling many different types of rattan baskets and Vina hats. He was nice. I ended up buying a rattan bowl that I thought would be a good fish bowl. Then a nice lady selling bananas also was talking to me.
It was great having Ben here - really loved it.
We spent the morning at home – him packing and me fussing around in my room trying not to think too much about the fact he was leaving.
We went across the road to Highlands and grabbed a quite bite before going back to our place and grabbing his gear before the taxi arrived.
We waited, and waited and waited. But still no taxi. So I called the tour company we booked it through. They said they were on their way. Still no show. Then a taxi pulled up out the front, and we thought it was our so we gleefully packed bens case and bags in and jumped in.
Immediately I pulled out the receipt to check it was the right taxi. The guy didn’t speak a word of English. We tried to communicate – then he seemed to understand so we started on our way.
Then I saw the meter come on. I asked him why the meter, continually pointing to the paid stamp on the receipt – but he still didn’t register. We were not even 500 metres from the house and we got him to pull over.
I called the company again but it kept cutting out and they weren’t being very helpful. The guy started yelling at me that the taxi was at our place and wouldn’t listen to what had possibly happened.
Luckily for us, we got the taxi driver to stop completely and he pulled into a hotel where the door staff could speak and understand English. Turns out that Ben and I jumped into the wrong cab and it was a big mix-up. The tour company were really rude and refused to help so the hotel staff organized for us to get picked up and only pay US$10. Thanks goodness. Only a 160.000 ride instead of a 250.000 by meter!
By this stage, Ben and I had both broken out into a sweat. Time was marching on and it was the most frustrating and confusing experience to have in the middle of dealing with him leaving. It was really hot and steamy – and I just have this view of looking at Ben and us both pouring with sweat. Quite funny really in retrospect.
Thank goodness for the lovely hotel staff. I vowed I’d return to that tour company in the afternoon and demand a refund. I bet they thought we were leaving the country and could get away with it. Too bad, little did they know I’d be on their door step and if they didn’t refund my money – they’d have a fight on their hands.
So… we finally got to the airport and got to sit down and have a drink before Ben had to go through customs etc. The worst thing is that he disappears into another area for customs and the boarding gates and I have to say goodbye before.
So, the inevitable happened and we said goodbye. I felt so sad. Don’t go baby don’t go…
I watched him disappear into customs and then in the boarding lounge. The funny thing was, I just couldn’t leave until he boarded the plane. So there I am, standing at the first lot of gates, craning my neck to catch a glimpse of him, and I just waited. I kept thinking, there’s no need to just stand here, but I just simply couldn’t leave. It was a horrible feeling. I ducked to the toilet quickly and when I got back the boarding calls were happening. I didn’t get to see a final glimpse of him before he boarded, but I stood there till there was hardly anyone left in the area… then I went and grabbed a taxi.
I got home and wandered around for a while then decided to get out and check out a couple of hotels for Ali, for her and Paul, when they came this weekend. It was cool to check out another part of the old quarter. The hotels are in another area I hadn’t really explored – really backpacker focused with lots of hotels etc. So that was interesting.
I wandered along a couple of streets then turned down an alley and next minute – I found myself at Bia Hoi corner. Wouldn’t you believe it – right where the tour café was that stuffed our taxi up. So I headed in there and they were most apologetic for the stuff up. I got my refund straight away. So that was nice, no fights – thank goodness.
I then felt a little at a loss with what to do – so I went and sat down and had a beer. I chatted to a man selling many different types of rattan baskets and Vina hats. He was nice. I ended up buying a rattan bowl that I thought would be a good fish bowl. Then a nice lady selling bananas also was talking to me.
Headed to intermex to get a few things then jumped on a Xe Om and headed home. Man, they still try to rip me off here, even when I tell them I live here. Still, it’s amazing how the power of "the walk off" can change their minds.
When I got home Candice was cooking herself some dinner so I went upstairs to set up for doing some office work. I then went to get some more things for dinner from Hanoi Towers. Really missing Ben…
Had an average night. Did some work and went to bed. No Ben… sniff sniff sniff :(
Both Phil and Ali called to see how I was doing, which was really lovely. I really appreciated their thoughts.
At least I have the memories and loads of photos. It really was amazing to have him here.





0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home