Monday, May 21, 2007

Noizee

The future is...

Saturday night was one in a million. I was transported back to a time spent hanging with people who are into the same thing I am - hip hop, and everything in its orbit. And boy I loved it. I was truly in my element.

An ex-pat couple who have put together a range of t-shirt designs under the moniker Noizee launched their clothing at what was once the Aussie ex-pat bar, Baracuda - now rebadged as Lighthouse.

I arrived quite early to ensure I didn't miss any of the action - which included a performance by well-known breaking crew Big Toe and a piece by aerosol artists f-stop. So the night had a strong hip hop theme... whoooo hooo, after more than a year here, there was something culturally familiar in my midst.

The breakers were amazing. The Vietnamese physique is truly built for breaking - and the moves those kids were pulling out was true testiment to it. They made it look so easy.

I spoke with the leader of the crew before they went on, and am hooking up with them over the next week or so to do a proper interview and get some shots of them practicing. I got some truly mad shots though.

But probably an even more exciting aspect of the night for me was getting to meet some local aerosol artists. They were a friendly and very cool bunch of boys - four of them all in all. And they were stoked to meet a girl who not only knew a bit about graf, but who also took a million and one photos of the wall as it went from blank to finished.

There was one guy there, Linkfish, who showed me a black book of photos he had compiled of all the work he'd done. This kid has only been writing for three years and is showing style and great promise. While there were some pieces that were clearly influenced from the likes of Daim etc. He played around with a whole bunch of styles and characters - I was truly impressed. And he was very modest when I told him so.

When I told him I've known many artists back in Australia over the years, he asked me all sorts of things about what the scene in Australia was like. But a question that really stood out was when he asked me if the guys I knew were into punk music. He told me while he liked hip hop, he and his crew all preferred punk. I told him a lot of guys I've known are into punk - and he seemed genuinely stoked to know this.

I tell you though - they did their piece in the entrance room of the building and there was no ventilation. I had to keep stepping out to catch my breath the air was that thick with paint fumes... a familiar smell, and coupled with the sound of the can being shaken, it was like being back at home. But I don't know how they stayed in there the entire time. I told them they should think of getting masks so they don't damage their lungs - especially if they have to piece in similar on-ventilated space again.

I got all their details and I'm going to hang out with them soon. Can't wait - such a cool group of kids. Really down to earth - and it was so great to finally meet some local artists.

The club was packed and pumping the entire night. And the hot weather really hit as well, which meant the old familiar feeling of moisture permeating the air and creating a permanent layer on ones skin came back with force.

Oh yes, another Hanoi summer in effect - and what a brilliant marker for me to welcome it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home