Making plans
Weekend - August 12-13, 2006
Spent all Saturday searching the web for flights and researching different areas and places I'm going to go with Mel in mid-October. She's arriving at the end of September and then doing an intrepid tour through Vietnam before I meet her in Ho Chi Minh city (Saigon) and we head to Cambodia and Thailand.
It's going to be awesome - we're going to Angkor Wat in Cambodia and spending time in Phnom Penh and Bangkok before heading off to Ko Pha Ngan for some island down-time. Can't wait!! Will be so fabulous.
I got sick again this weekend - third time in a month! - so after chatting to Ali on Sunday and starting to feel I was getting a temperature, it was on to the Giardia tablets Wasn't happy about taking them, because they're incredibly strong - giardia is a parasite that lives in your stomach - but thought I was getting sick a little too often to risk it. Sure, while I could put it down to a dose of bad luck with food each time, but it could have also been something else.
Mum was on SBS's Insight earlier in the week - on a program on Austism - and there was footage of her and other teachers on a group outing. Apparently there was a lovely shot of Kimberly showing her beanie bear to the camera. I've known Kimberly since she was a baby and we've been friends with her family for a long time. Mum used to work with Ryan, Kimberly's older brother, when he was in primary school and she and their mum Kay became good friends. Mum now supports Kimberly occassionally on weekends.
Apparently the show was really good. It featured the lady who smothered her child with a pillow because she was under so much pressure, then there was another mother in WA who had 3 out of 4 children with autism of all varying degrees. Tim Fisher was also there and spoke about his son. The thing I love about Insight is the format where they invite people from all areas to discuss the issue in an open mic session after watching stories on the big screen.
It was cool as well, because a couple of people emailed me to say they saw mum on the program and they realised just how hard her work actually was, as well as learned a lot about Autism and Asperger Syndrome.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home