Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Weekend fun

Saturday March 4, 2006

Got up reasonably early and prepared for my language lesson at 11am. Got some practice in, in between discussions with the hungover crew of Phil, Paula and Candice who arrived back at about 4.30am from Baracouda – the Aussie ex-pat bar here in Hanoi. They were surprisingly spritely when they rose into action around 9am!

I tell you, people here rise early. It could have something to do with the absolute buzz of traffic that gets louder and louder every minute the sun shines brighter through the grey smog, or perhaps it’s the morning government announcements that blare through the street corner speakers… I kid you not! Even a song gets played.

It kind of reminds me of Orwell’s 1984 mixed with experiences of ABC Sing-a-long books in primary school. A scary thought, but no scarier than having to listen to the Morning Zoo on SAFM or some other crap morning crew on commercial radio.

Anyway, at least you can turn the radio off at home, but here in Hanoi, I hear it pretty clearly from my bedroom. But I’m not complaining, it just adds to the diversity of this entire experience.

Major plan for the day – finish the language lessons and then get myself to an internet place and email my family and friends! I’m feeling really disconnected from everyone. I have no idea of how much txt messages or mobile phonecalls cost. I have no idea about the codes because I’ve had different stories from different people. I don’t even know our phone number here because our landlords speak little English and have had their visiting daughter or daughter-in-law interpreting for us during the moving in period.

(They are so sweet, we are very lucky – however our conversations to date have consisted of playing a game of charades or when we still can’t communicate we say something in English, they say something to us in Vietnamese, then we all look at each other and smile and say, “Thank-you, thank-you”.)

Le told me there was an internet place nearby (internet café is too strong word for the small little place I went to opposite the hotel on my first say here) so after language lessons I wandered around but couldn’t find anything.

I then went for a walk to Hanoi Towers. Well-to-do ex-pat central. Not the kind of place I feel very comfortable and the prices are exorbitant! The girls in the newsagent couldn’t help me with the post office (which was closed anyway) or any internet places… so I wandered out of the hotel feeling increasingly emotional and lost in this new and different world.

The Xe Om driver on the corner tipped me over the edge – I’ve heard ‘motobike’ one too many times in the last few days, and it can also be so sad to see them waiting on the corner like that... Everything just got on top of me and I couldn’t hold back the tears.

I thought Candice and Phil had left to go motorbike riding (he’d just bought a Minsk the other day) and check out the monthly Aussie Rules game being played at UNIS (United Nationals International School) so I let loose thinking I could just get in the house and run upstairs to my bedroom. But I was busted – they were still home and Candice immediately saw I was upset.

When she asked me if I was ok, I just couldn’t hold back and the flood gates opened.
I was missing my family and friends so much, missing Ben and our home – feeling like a fish out of water where simple communication required so much effort. Feeling tired, hormonal and wondering what the hell I’done giving up everything I had to chase some silly dream of wanting to “make a difference”.

Both Phil and Candice were great. They stayed with me while until they thought I was ok, and then when they left I went upstairs and called mum on the mobile. Hearing her voice set me off again – so poor mum got this weird message that was me crying in between telling her I really was ok and having a good time, but it was just all a little much and I was having a moment. Hilarious really.

I then had a big bawl and got myself together! Amazing how much you feel better after a cry.

One of the other VIDAs, Suzanne, arrived from out of town to stay for the weekend, so I met her at Hanoi Towers and then later we went out for dinner – Candice, Suzanne, myself and another girl working in Hanoi – Tiffany (from Adelaide actually). Went to an amazing vegetarian restaurant not far from our house – bonus! Had the best cold rolls – or rather “fresh spring rolls”. And the fake meat was delicious! I’m so pleased its close by, I’m really going to enjoy frequenting that place.

We all went to Hanoi Cinemateque to catch Fritz Lang’s Metropolis. Hanoi Cinemateque is this cool little cinema that screens lots of old movies and docos. They can’t charge you an entry fee, so you sign up membership of 100,000VND and then make a small donation when you book the tickets. There’s not really any western cinema’s here per se – not Greater Union’s that’s for sure - so Cinemateque is the closest thing you get.

It’s down the end of some dark and dungey alley. You turn a corner and enter a whole new world. The outside is like stepping into an old film yourself – outdoor café tables and chairs with an outdoor bar and fairy lights all around. It’s very charming and worth a look, even if you don’t see a film.

While we didn’t make it through the entire film (we were all very tired), I loved what I saw. Of course with uni, Metropolis has always been one of those films I’ve read about and seen snippets from, so I knew what I was in for. I’m definitely going to make sure I see the last part at another time. In fact, might see if I can get it on DVD here.

Sunday March 5, 2006

Raining a lot today. Went walking the Old Quarter looking for a curtain for my bedroom door (to give some privacy, don’t want to scare Candice one morning!), a set of drawers for my room so I can put clothes away, and then some bits and pieces for dinner.

A fun day, despite the rain. I enjoyed wandering around and really enjoying the city today. Even started trying to put my Vietnamese into action. It was nice to get to know the city some more after not a lot of time to do such things.

Simon called tonight! Yay! Had a great conversation with him. Called mum after and chatted with her before my credit on my phone ran out. Not bad though. It was so good to talk to her, I’ve really missed her, especially after us spending so much time together before I left.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home