Tet build up
Well, I was warned about how crazy things get in the build-up to Tet, but I've never seen anything like it!
Hanoi's traffic has gained a big reputation with friends and family that have visited - well that aint nothing compared to what I've experienced in the past week.
The old quarter has been wall to wall motorbikes... my street has been intersection to intersection motorbikes... and then even the roads to my work have been built up with traffic.
Traffic jams galore - madness, pure madness. It's a really personal, in-your-face global warming reality check when you are sitting on your bicycle breathing in the exhaust fumes of the hundreds of motorbikes roaring around you.
Work has been really lovely as well - everyone has been in and out of the office, running around getting prepared for Tet for their families. It has been a really festive atmosphere in the office with lots of hugs, laughing and joking around.
And I got a special Tet present as well - my girl Emma B has returned to Hanoi! Yippeee. After battling the crazy traffic into town after work yesterday (and unfortunately witnessing the aftermath of a big accident on Hang Bong) met up with her and Dan at Puku. Then Gemma arrived and we went to dinner nearby Indian restaurant Dakshins with Sri.
It was then to the Dragon Fly to meet Brianna, Qui Yi, Emily and friends. It ended up being a girls night out and there was lots of "cheers to the girls" flying around - a nice welcome home to Emma.
And Em and I are going to move out together. I've got the lease extended for a month to give us some time to look around - so she's going to be my new room mate - the two em's!
She's also gone through a break-up with her longtime partner during her time back in Melbourne - although he didn't cheat on her and then get the girl pregnant a month later like my ex, so they're friends - so it's going to be the two single girls with the world at our feet. Brilliant - girl power in full effect!
So we're all celebrating New Years again this Friday. It's such a cool thing to be here and having two New Years. It's a fresh start all over again. There's going to be fireworks on Hoan Kiem lake and also West Lake, and then a big party for New Years Eve and then news years day parties all over the city.
And while everything shuts down here as well - I'm told Hanoi is meant to be gorgeous at this time. Because Tet is such a special family time and everyone returns to their homeland, Hanoi becomes quiet, there's no honking of horns, they wash down the streets (something that would make drought ridden Australians, dobbing in their friends for breaking water restrictions, green with envy) and those that are here come out in all their finery - suits, ao dais... Can't wait to witness it all.
We also have "li xi" (pron. lee see) - which is the special giving of red envelopes with money for good luck and prosperity, so I'm currently busy collecting "good quality" notes to put into envelopes for the neighbourhood kids, friends and work colleagues. Gave Thuy our cleaner her special envelope of one months payment today, which I've been informed is policy. She was stoked.
Saw a hilarious lighter at Bia Hoi corner tonight - as we are coming into the Year of the Pig, this lighter was a golden pig the size of your hand with flashing purple eyes and when you click it on, a big jet flame comes out of its mouth. I was tempted to purchase it for novelty value... but joked that it wasn't the kind of thing you could carry around in your pocket and whip out. It was like a small piggy bank for kids! Gotta love it.
And another bonus of Tet - I'm now on holidays for a week! Bring it on.
So Chuc Mung Nam Moi - a Happy New Year to everyone!

1 Comments:
I want that darn pig lighter - it is my star - year of the piggy - excellent folk we are - we are supposed to have a certain sense of natural style and refinement - but obviously NOT - coz I WANT the lighter!!!!!!
Happy Tet to yooooo -
Oh and other bits of news
Gerda J (channel 10) just had a baby girl!
There has been a terrible accident with Matt Rex who is in a coma in Flinders med centre - hit by a car driven by his best friend Chris Jongewaard - an emotional and physical disaster
Post a Comment
<< Home